Monday, March 9, 2009

Sketch-a-day Challenge: #'s 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12

Ok, so I'm still trying to do a sketch a day but it took me a week to actually post them all.  While I know daily updates are preferable, it can be a pain to warm up the scanner and get the little sketch in and adjusted, which doesn't feel worth it sometimes.

So like I said, I'll try to update more frequently than I just did but it may not literally be "daily".



Ok, here goes:
Something from Art Explorer Post-- did this awhile ago, but tweaked it.


On Saturady: New costume-- Roman!  We had really limited time for each pose.  I'd estimate no more than 5 minutes, maybe less.  Felt like that anyway.



Another one-- trying to get faster at rendering with pen.


Trying to practice anatomy.  I love the "industrial design" approach, i. e. breaking it down into geometrical shapes.  How much I remember from doing these studies is questionable though.  I try drawing these things by memory after I've copied a diagram, but I feel like I've already forgotten most of what I "learned".  So frustrating!


This is one of the variations of an idea I had awhile back for a kind of device worn as a "boot" that is a kind of active "smart stilt" resembling an insect that allows a user to navigate very difficult terrains such as piles of small boulders, building rubble, or even dense forests.  I resurrected the idea when working on the cave exploration thing, because these types of boots could also be great for wading through water.  The basic idea is that the individual "feet" on the 6 legs per boot latch onto a surface within a 280 degree angle-ish cone.  If the surface is several feet below (like a crevice) or above (like a peak) the legs bend in two different ways (active at joint, passive at lower ligament) to compensate for the height difference, allowing the user to "walk" more quickly and easily instead of climbing.  It, of course, would still be impractical, so it would probably be considered an outdoor sport in the sphere of mountain biking and skiing.




(No, those are not her real eyes/mouth!  They are projections.  I'm not that bad at anatomy!)  Anyways, this probably violates a bunch of fashion design rules, but I wanted to go for something really out there.  It's an outfit, presumably for nobility, in a culture that values complete and utter expression of everyone's absolutely true and unconcealed emotions.  The whole outfit can be likened to a mood ring on steroids.  The "eyes" are a projection within the visor (think CRT monitor) that reflect what the wearer's emotions *should* be in real time, based on sensors in the brain.  The shoulders are made of a fabric intwined with little lights, making it sort of a flexible screen that shows various colored waves that people in this culture are trained to be able to read, to tell if the wearer is agitated, calm, anxious, happy, etc...  The individual enclosed leg dresses (a split dress or double-legged pants?) interpret the data displayed in waves in the shoulders, and turn it into a fashionable display similar to music visualization softoware in iTunes and Windows Media Player, etc...  Only it's brain waves instead of sound ones.

So conversing with this person would mean seeing everything she's thinking, her awakeness level, her emotion, perhaps even whether she's lying.  Large, simplified, projected eyes, eyebrows, and mouth tell you what her expression would be in an exaggerated way (I think of those Japanese robots with "personality".   But before you think you have the upper hand in this conversation, imagine if you were rigged up like this as well!  How would conversing be different?

How does the angle look?  I was trying to do a "top and looking down" type of view, which is why the legs look a little short, but something still looks wonky to me...


I've decided to try to improve my digital painting skills, specifically the speed aspect.  Of course, I forgot to record how long this took... -_-  But it's pretty low res, wasn't too long.  I used a reference photo of a cave (lit for tourists, I presume) somewhere in the Netherlands.  I also tried mimicking the color closely.  Yeah, I know, they really were that bright!






4 comments:

BONARDI said...

I'm glad your on here. I really enjoy your work and still love the piece and process you came up for the still life that is in the admissions office. I too gave up on updating a piece a day. I still have to find a link to the special on synesthia... i'll let you know

Kirsten Zirngibl said...

Hey there! So that's who you are! Nice to "see" ya again, hehe.

By the way, on the topic of synesthesia, I attended Bevil Conway's color lecture, and asked a question about that. Along with an explanation involving extra pathways established from various parts of the brain to the image processing part (which happens to be quite close to the math part), he said that most of the people who think they have it don't have it. (He used the word "lying" but he probably meant "misguided".) He said there were some clever tests for distinguishing the "liars" from the "genuine" synesthetes.
Interesting stuff, time to google! ;-)

BONARDI said...

Ohh no! I didn't realize you wrote back. The show I saw recently on synesthesia talked about how there are different levels of it. They talked about how before they just considered the extreme cases to be synestites and now they are studying other cases. They said 1 in 100 artists have synesthesia.

take care

Louise Smythe said...

hey! awesome work, kirsten! love the colors in that last piece.